This online video course has all you need to get from complete beginner to your first DJ gig in just four weeks
Full course contents
Video 1: The Right Route To Take (10 minutes)
Don't be daunted by controllers - we'll show you clearly what each part does and why they're all basically the same.
To digital DJ, you need to understand the various options available to you, and their relative merits and shortcomings, in order to make a confident choice as to which route to take from the off. You’ll learn:
- The advantages of choosing a “controller plus laptop” system
- Why you should avoid digital vinyl “scratch” set-ups
- Why you probably shouldn’t be tempted into DJing with a no-laptop DJ controller
Video 2: What Gear You Need (38 minutes)
You can spend thousands and end up with a whole heap of stuff that will not help you at all to get DJing in public. Fact is, you need just a few basic items to DJ like a pro in public. We’ll show you exactly what, and how you can save a huge amount of money by knowing what to buy – and what not to buy.
- Why you definitely won’t have to spend as much money as you think
- The four pieces of gear you MUST have… and how to choose them
- Why all DJ controllers are basically the same… and how this knowledge can save you money
- Myths and mysteries about “sound cards” and “audio interfaces” debunked
- Why the laptop you’ve already got is probably fine for digital DJing, and how to check
- The two essential things to look for when choosing DJ headphones
Video 3: Getting The Music (40 minutes)
With clear talkthroughs and video demonstrations , you'll be playing your first tunes in no time.
A DJ is only as good as his music. But where do you start? How do you sift through the thousands of tunes released each week? Where on earth do you turn for help in getting quickly to the good stuff? We’ll show you a system that works, concentrating on:
- How to buy music in the post-record shop age
- Places to get exclusive DJ tracks for free
- How to use the pros to find great new records for you!
- Knowing what tunes to spend your hard-earned cash on… and what to avoid
- Keeping a grip on your digital music collection… and why you must organise it away from your DJ software
- How to ensure the music you play sounds great… and why some digital DJs always sound so bad
Video 4: Your DJ Controller (13 minutes)
DJ controllers come in all shapes and sizes, but they always appear to be more complicated than they really are, as manufacturers pile in the features to try and differentiate their products from everyone else’s. We cut through the complications and show you what’s really important on a DJ controller.
- What everything does on a typical DJ controller
- Why no matter what controller you have, it still operates in practically the same way as all the others
- How to put music on to the decks
- Playing your first tune
A Pro DJ says…
“I think Phil’s crash course in how to become a digital DJ is awesome for aspiring DJs who so far have done it in their bedrooms but who are dreaming of bigger crowds, and who are dreading all the seemingly complicated things that can come with that. The explanations are easily understandable and they clarify your options which should make it easier to decide on what to buy and how to go about getting forward in your career as a DJ – be it local, national or international. Looking back to when I started learning DJing, this kind of video series would’ve helped me tremendously.” – International DJ/producer Darude (“Sandstorm”).
Video 5: Your First Mix (10 minutes)
DJs do the same thing, over and over again. Once you know the basics, you can start mixing, and then it’s just a case of building on this starting block by adding the skills needed to cope with different tunes.
- How to use the mixer and jogwheels – and the two distinct things a jogwheel does
- Why the speed of the tunes is so important
- A simple trick that’ll let you easily mix two copies of the same record together
Video 6: Beatmatching I (18 minutes)
Once you know the basics, we show you all the digital shortcuts. You'll be ready to impress your friends with your new-found skills in weeks.
We’ve carefully got you ready for this. This is the first of three videos that will teach you beatmatching like a pro! It lays an important foundation by teaching you the way DJs have always beatmatched on vinyl and CD systems, and how you can do exactly the same thing yourself on a digital DJ controller.
- Why beatmatching manually is so important… and why failing to learn it properly (or even at all) means you’ll struggle to get better as digital DJs
- How to cue and drop a record… and how to quickly have another go when you get it wrong!
- Why the headphones are so important, and tips and tricks for using them effectively
- What DJs do next once they have two records perfectly beatmatched
Video 7: Beatmatching II (25 minutes)
A DJ says…
“I have yet to get my first gig but with the ‘How To Digital DJ Fast’ online video school I feel more confident when I’m mixing and more open to mixing different genres together. Before seeing the videos practically everything I knew was self-taught; not only did these videos redefined what I knew, they made things clearer as well. I have signed up for other courses but this is hands-down the most useful guide for beginner digital DJs. I would absolutely recommend the course to beginner DJs, because it has everything you’d need and want to know. It teaches you from a practical mind-set which is very easy to understand and which you’ll easily relate to.” – Christian Cantelon (“DJ Crysix”), Toronto, Canada.
Digital has plenty of tricks up its sleeve to help you do in seconds what it used to take vinyl and CD DJs months to master. Now you understand the “old” way, we can show you these tricks, confident that you’ll know how to use them properly (most digital DJs don’t…)
- Why sync is your best friend… yet why for many digital DJs, it is their worst enemy!
- Using the tempo control properly
- The different types of sync – and why it’s essential to understand what YOUR sync button is doing (Hint: Different controllers and software do this in different ways, which can radically affect the way you mix)
Video 8: Beatmatching III (19 minutes)
Once you’ve understood “real” beatmatching and learned all the digital tricks, it’s time for the final piece of the puzzle: Using beats and bars (measures) to make your mixes sound infinitely more professional and just feel “right”. Eek! sounds hard, right? Wrong!
- Why you don’t need any musical knowledge at all to master this essential skill
- A simple counting method that means you’ll nearly always “know” the right point to mix one tune into the next
- How to improve your mixing by tapping into what all clubbers, dancer and music lovers, you included, already instinctively know about beat and bars
- Why music producers sometimes “break” the rules… and how to identify when they’ve done this to improve your mixes even further
Video 9: Six Classic Mixes (26 minutes)
With clear hands-on explanations, even the most complicated techniques are easy to understand and master. They'll help you DJ like a pro when you get in front of a crowd.
Once you’ve got the skills, we’ll school you in these time-proven ways of getting from one tune to the next. In combination with what you’ve learned in the beatmatching videos, you’ll now be able to mix from any tune into any other with complete confidence!
- The one secret that means you’ll always be able to perform a competent mix even if you run out of time or the tunes just don’t “match”
- How to mix seamlessly without really “mixing” at all
- Two versions of a basic DJ mix that will work for you in the majority of your mixes
- Using software features and “scratch” functions to perform vinyl-style mixes
Video 10: Tips and Tricks (47 minutes)
In this extended two-part final video, we look at some of the more advanced features of your DJ controller, and simple ways to put them to work to improve your digital DJing still further. Your final briefing (now you’re a gig-ready DJ!) is an invaluable “pep talk” about making a success of the first DJ gig you’ve worked so hard towards.
- The one killer secret that CD DJ have been using for years… and how to replicate it on your controller
- Why effects are best used sparingly… and the one killer effect you should master and use immediately
- The truth about “keylocking”, and the best way to use it without making your mixes sound awful
- A practical guide to setting up in a pro DJ booth, including a demonstration of the kind of gear you’re likely to find there and how to plug into it
- Time-proven tips on how to conquer nerves and have a great time at your first gig to ensure it is a 100% total success.